Friday, October 28, 2011

National Park #2

Day Three: North Rim, Grand Canyon.

Wow! I think "grand" may be an understatement of this canyon.  Immense, expansive, breathtaking, are words that come to mind. This is the unsuspecting drive to the North Rim.

It isn't until you step around the back of the lodge that you get this eye-full. 



It's amazing that trees take root here at all.

 

Had time for a couple hikes. One took me out to a ledge where I soaked up the sun and sketched.  The day started at 21 degrees and reached only into the mid 40's. The North Rim is 1,000 feet higher in elevation compared to the South Rim and about 10 degrees cooler.  


The other hike lead me down along the canyon walls and under a ridge line. 



Gradually reacquainting myself with land-life conveniences...this cabin had its own bathroom! 

On to Bryce Canyon....


No comments:

Post a Comment